Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Real DARling

By Sarah Lotkowski ‘13, Plymouth-Whitemarsh High School

The worn ivory letter, tucked away softly into a familiar nook, folded into intricate squares, the seams caressed and fragile. Vein like tears cascade down the willowy corners; traces of fingertip smudges freckle its supple face, eventually worn down to subtle furrows like the feathery wisps of a river current. The words hidden inside the neatly packed parcel lay brimming with wisdom and self assurance. Those words that need not pass inspection from the brain and are directly extracted from the hollows of the heart were chosen carefully; erased into silence time and time again- until the perfect harmony was reached. These clusterings of letters empty their impact onto the eyes and hearts of dozens of students every year- the students lucky enough to have had Mr. George Hankins- master of capturing the true meaning in people- and of course- an abstract word artist as well.
George Hankins, CMS history teacher

Within the past couple of weeks, eighth grade history teacher at Colonial Middle School (CMS), George Hankins, has been named the Pennsylvania State Society Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) Outstanding Teacher of American History Winner for 2011.
In simpler terms, I suppose, this award is given out at the chapter, state and national level to a selected teacher in the field of history and its related areas who has “the ability to foster the spirit of American patriotism and loyal support of our country and constitutional government, and demonstrate the ability to relate the subject of modern life and events.  The teacher must have high academic standards requiring excellence at all times, for and from the students.  They must be committed to the students and enjoy rapport with them” as formally stated by the DAR committee.
Let’s just say a man who can write such an eloquent letter to every one of his students at the end of each school year - such a letter that deserves the right to its own paragraph- one that is described alongside the presence of such desirable words- AND that makes a girl tear just writing about such a letter- clearly fits the bill to be recognized as the winner of this award, for the requirement for such an award is just one of the favorable definitions of such a gifted man.
This past week, I had the pleasure of speaking with Mr. Hankins, and to talk a little bit about who and what have inspired him to become a teacher, how he feels about winning the award, and who he accredits much of his success to. Growing up with two disabled parents, he learned to take every day as a new adventure and as a new lesson. “My mom was blind and my father was confined to a wheelchair due to cerebral palsy.  They dedicated their lives to loving me for my strengths and flaws.  They helped me and encouraged me to realize that learning is fun. I also learned the value of laughter and showing genuine love to all.  Every person has a story.  You never know what people are dealing with and a smile or kind gesture can go a long way to remind them that life is worth living.” After the death of his father, he recollects, “My teachers reached out to me and showed love beyond love because I was crushed.  As an educator, I use their influence and the lessons I learned from my parents to be the best teacher I can be.  Teaching history may be what I am hired to do, but I look at it as teaching students to believe in themselves and work for the good around them.” Of course though, he has always had a special connection to his students. “My students inspire me. Making a difference in their lives is what keeps me going.  I want to be that light on life’s path.”

As reflected by his choice in props, Hankins is willing to sacrifice his dignity for his students.
I feel that I can speak for the great majority of students who had the pleasure of being taught by Mr. Hankins in saying that he is definitely the light on our lives’ path. From lessons outside to mock historical battles to dressing up in his wife’s outfit (to be George Washington of course!)- Mr. Hankins is one for the books. To top off our interview, his last words to me were, “I do not want anyone to think that there are not other deserving people in the classroom next door- there really are.  However, I am proud that my peers, community and former students found value in what I do.” I think we have found much more than value in what he does.
He brings out the strengths and honorable qualities in everyone he meets, always striving to better others and himself- and even to put others’ accomplishments and goodwill above his own. His demeanor and motives are genuine and unique, making Mr. Hankins someone truly unforgettable.

No comments:

Post a Comment